Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Astoria still...

ASTORIA…Still


columbia

The view from the Astoria Tower was so awesome. Even though I did not climb the 164 stairs , I had a great view. You could see the whole mouth of the Columbia River, and the Bar that is one of the most dangerous bars in the world to cross.


me

Barbara took my camera and got a picture of me from up on top. I am the white dot on the ground. (Never thought I could look so small). Once Barb came down from the tower, we toured the rest of the grounds. The Canoe is a replica of the ones that Lewis and Clark used to explore the Columbia River. Now I don’t know about you, but I would need a bigger boat. A MUCH bigger boat! It amazes me to see how SMALL the vehicles and craft were that the pioneers used to cross this vast continent. My big SUV is bigger than most wagons were, and they had their whole life in those wagons and canoes. It really brings it home how much they struggled and how hard their journeys were to conquer this wilderness.


canoe

After we were finished, and I had gotten my walking stick, We decided it was time for lunch. Barb knew a great place called The SHIPS that had good English Fare…Bangers and Mash, Fish and Chips, etc. And was right on the River. We had The Halibut Fish and Chips, and sat right on the water. A Freighter was passing while we ate, and it was really close. The River channel ran right up against the Oregon Border, and the rest of the water was all Sand Bar. WOW!


the river

The Fish and Chips were absolutely WONDERFUL!! The Halibut was flaky and the Fries were so crisp and fresh. I could have sat there for hours watching the River traffic go by. But we were ready to go to the Long Beach Penninsula. The longest sandy beach in the world. 33 miles of ocean front…but I’ll save that for tomorrow

No comments: