Friday, March 04, 2005

Time out...

I am going to be gone for a few days. I am going to go over to the mainland down towards Oregon and on the coast, to visit an OLD, OLD friend. Barbara lost her husband just before Thanksgiving.

I first met her Husband Butch when I was just starting to date. He was a sailor from VP-1 here on base, and was more fun!! We dated for about 6 months, and then he found my best friend Elaine, and went with her for about a year and then he met Barbara. Barbara had been part of the gang, but was going with Willy at the time, so Butch just never asked. When Willy and Barb broke up, Butch made his move, and then they were married.

They were perfect for each other. They had a wonderful life together, He got out of the Navy and then after some time with Georgia Pacific, he started working for the US Govt again. This time in communications. He was transferred to Korea, and Puerto Rico, and West Virginia, and finally back to Washington.

We had kept in touch through the years, but never visitied, as we were on different schedules, different places. When I got the email in December telling about Butch's sudden death, I was shocked and immediately called Barbara.

It was so wonderful re-connecting with her. It was like we had never been apart, just like when we were still in college, and high school. I saw her a few weeks ago, and had made arrangements for me to go down to her place this weekend. They just finished building this house, and had both retired, to enjoy the rest of their lives together, when Butch had a massive heart attack and died.

This should be a fun weekend, just sitting around talking like old times, playing card games, eating crap, walking along the beach at Astoria, exploring the woods. I need this break. She needs this break. We both need each other. I am leaving Donna in charge of the animals, and running away! See you when I get back!

No comments: