Monday, March 28, 2005

Easter 1952


Easter 52

I was 6 and Phyllis had just turned 3 when we had our pictures taken with the Easter Bunny. I just barely remember this. Mom had to set our hair the night before, rolled up in white rags, torn from old sheets. She would Pin curl the bangs and the sides with Bobby pins, opening them with her teeth and sticking them in our hair. I remember how they would hurt, and if we wiggled, They hurt even MORE because Mom would get mad and curl them really tight.

Usually we had matching Easter dresses, hand made by Mom. She made just about all of our clothes, because in those days it was Much cheaper. (And she did not work)

I had not seen this picture in years and years and had forgotten all about it until I was searching through Phyllis' pictures looking for things for her scrapbook. I found this picture and the memories came flooding back. We had just returned from a tour of Duty on Guam. And we were living on Winchester Drive in Paradise Hills, San Diego, California. I also remember that Dad was on a cruise on the USS Toledo, and was off the coast of Korea. The Easter Bunny did not come until we had gotten home from Sunday school on Easter Morning, and when we walked in the house, there were Fresh Cinnamon rolls, hand made by Mom while we were at Church. Then we saw our baskets, and the Easter Bunny had hidden eggs in the front yard for us to find.

After we had found all (we hoped) the eggs, we went over to Aunt Margie and Uncle Bob's for Easter Dinner.

I remember the little white gloves we had, and the patent leather Mary Jane shoes. I loved Easter back then. And when I think of Easter, I think of that time frame, when we lived close to family.

We had our usual Family Dinner here Last night. Mike and Sherry and their Son Galen came and Phyllis did too. Donna had to stay here for the Holiday, because us Mericans only had two days off, and there was a blizzard in the mountains, and the pass was closed. So she came on home. Tim of course did not. But I cooked the ham that Bob brought over, and we just all sat around the table, picked and ate, and yakked for two hours. (I hid the remote!! TEE HEE) Phyllis brought out her camera and took pictures of each of us, then we all goofed around grabbed the camera and took our own self-portrait. Talk about FUNNY!!! Galen took a shot of the back of his head so he could see how much hair he was losing. He is almost 27. (Mike is bald on top) Bob took one of his ear, Donna and us girls took our own off center pictures, then we all sat back and laughed at each other.

It was a good evening. Phyllis then asked where the Easter Bunny picture was, so I posted it yesterday. So now she can steal it back and use it next year. (She is sicker than I am!!) And just so you all would not think that I was totally whacked, I posted this one today. I may even post another one of 1956 tomorrow. Maybe.

Maybe Not.

No comments: