Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Norwegians

I am doing research of our family, and have run across some really incredible pictures on both sides of the tree. My Father's side is norwegian and Irish. We know hardly anything about the BRETT side, other than my Grandfather came from Boston, and his parents came from Ireland. My Friend Rusty's Mother is a BRETT also, but she came from England, and we can't find any common ancestors, although I'm sure there must be some way back there. My Grandfather came out to Oregon where he married my Grandmother, and we have lost all track of his family. Pity.

My Grandmother's side was Norwegian, and to hear them talk, there is no other blood but Norwegian in My father! We have their side of the family fairly well documented clear back to my Great Great Grandparents in Lillehammer, Norway. The Maternal family name was Jacobson, and on her side it was Gullsather. The paternal side was Gottenberg, and he married Larsen.

My Great Grandmother came to America in 1872 to Marry my Great Grandfather. He was born here in 1854 in Wesby, Wis. He married Gusta in Frankfort S.D. in 1880 Shortly after they were married the kids started arriving, and arriving, and arriving. The Living Children ended up to be 2 girls and 5 boys, born from 1881-1896. My Grandmother was the oldest girl and she was born a twin with Maynard.



This is a picture of the family shortly before the turn of the century. Sam was the youngest born in 1896 and he looks to be about 3 or 4 in this picture. Josephine May is the one on the left in the back row her twin is on the right. Gilbert who is my Great Gradfather has some mustache doesn't he? (He looks mean! )

The family eventually settled in the Willamette Valley of Oregon around Mt. Angel and Silverton. The ranch was located on the Big Puddin' River. We still have cousins there, and we actually keep in touch with them, although the family is all spread out now. My Dad was the one who kept track of everyone.

Why in this day of modern communications do we let our history escape? I am kind of the family historian, and I try to keep everybody filled in, but my Children don't seem to care, and neither does my Nephew. It is so sad to see the family dispursing and going their own ways, and losing track of each other. We should always know where our blood is.

(We might need some one day)

No comments: