Saturday, July 24, 2004

JAM!!! Fresh Plum Jam!!!

In all of this HEAT….all of my neighbors plums came ripe TODAY!!  RIGHT NOW!!! Won’t keep!!!  So in 100-degree heat guess what I am doing?  Yep, Making plum Jam/preserves!  I am taking a break to cool off, but DAMN it is hot!! The jam is good too!!  Last year I got to make it in several days batches, but not this year!!!



My peaches are going to do the same thing in a few weeks.  There were so many peaches on the trees this year that the top 1/3 broke right off from the weight, and then broke off a big lower branch too.  Unfortunately the peaches were not even CLOSE to ripe; so over three hundred of them got pitched over the fence!!  L  This has been a fantastic year for fruit!  The pears and apples are really prolific too.  May not have to drive over to eastern Washington to get them this year. 



I did not plant any zucchini this year, and that may have been a big mistake.  Neither did Bob.  Might have to buy them for my zucchini bread.  Too bad ya’ll aren’t closer…I’d send you some.

The wind is picking up tonight.  The High Pressure and the Low Pressure systems are evening out, and the wind is coming right off the Pacific and really cooling everything down.  We just are not equipped to handle the heat like you guys are.  Now a cold snap…is another matter.  It actually looks like it might form fog out on the water tonight.  I sure hope so.   That cools it right down, and makes it very comfortable.  Can’t see worth diddly, but it is refreshing.  We call it Nature’s air conditioner.

Well time to go turn the jars over and wait for the 6 pop. Pop, pops of the lids sealing.
 Great on fresh hot homemade bread and fresh butter, a spoon of fresh plum jam and a cu of tea!  UMMMMM UMMMMM GOOD!


No comments: