Saturday, July 03, 2004

Alice

When you were a little kid, do you remember any songs that were nonsensical, but were ones that you sang all the time? Did all of your friends sing them too? Girl Scout songs, like John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt or 100 bottles of beer on the wall. Songs that when you hear them now it takes you back...back to your childhood, back to the place or the campfire you were sitting around when you learned it. I remember My Hat it had three corners and every time you sang a verse, you would leave out a word. And add a hand signal. Another one was Head and Shoulders, Knees and toes.

Summer nights like this one conjure up memories of fun times like that. We had us a unique childhood. We were not rich, we did not have much, but we did have fun and we have fun memories. Some of our memories neither one of us girls can remember who or where, but we remember the What. Some of our memories we remember totally different.

Today We were on our way through the pass , off the Island, and across the Skagit Valley to the Big City Mt Vernon and COSTCO. I was talking about wondering if I could draw on Jim's social security when I was the right age. I then went on to mention a woman named Alice that we both knew. When I said her name, with out even missing a beat, both Phyllis and I broke into the ALICE song. You know the one?

Alice, where art thou going?
Upstairs to take a bath.

Alice, with legs like toothpicks,
and a neck like a gir raff raff raff raff raff raff raff raff.

Alice, stepped in the bathtub,
Alice pulled out the plug.

Oh my goodness, oh my soul!
There goes Alice down the hole!

Alice where art thou going?
Glub Glub GLub

And then we both burst into laughter...Neither or us could remember where we learned that song, but we remember it from our childhood, and singing it all the time.

any hints?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually have all the words to this silly song! My mother wrote them down for me before she passed away. It was a staple in my house (I am 61, also), and I haven't heard it since my mom sang it to my girls. I will dig out the lyrics and send them to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I do remember those silly songs and many others. But what I remember most are the songs that we used to sing in what we called "chapel," but it wasn't a real chapel in the religious sense of the word. We marched in and out to the Grand March from "Aida" on the piano, and we had a brown soft-back songbook. We sang old-fashioned songs like "When You and I Were Young, Maggie," "Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms" and "Stout-Hearted Men." As a man, I recall fondly the old days at the YMCA, when it was, as the name still implies, all male. Gone are all of those days for all of us. I'm jb37@i-c.net. Thanks for reading this!