Thursday, July 28, 2005

Changes....


misty sunset

We have been having a heatwave. Nothing like the rest of the country or world, but hot for us. It is been in the high 80's 90's. Today you could feel the change. As I listened to the weather report on the evening news, I saw that we have some Marine Air coming in from the west. He said that the temps were gonna drop, and the wind was going to bring in the clouds.

I went in to rehearsal and afterwards, drove along the west side of the island to see the sunset. As I got closer to the beach, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped drastically. I turned on Ebby Road, and went on down the sharp turn to the landing and the beach. The wind was pushing the water in from the sound and crashing the waves right up on the beach. The tide was coming in, so the water was really close to the road.

I stopped, got out of the car and stood there with the wind whipping into my face, slapping me with the mist off the water. I turned on my camera and snapped away. The picture above is the best one. In it you can see the spindrift blowing across the face of the bluff and on up to the prairie.

I followed the water past the Ferry landing and on down the strand to the cove where I live. The water on this side of Ft Casey and Admiralty Head, was very calm, and the ferry landing was smooth as glass. On down the road 1 mile the wind was again coming in from the Strait and making waves on the shore. I clicked away as long as I could, until the light was too dim to get good exposures.

I headed on around past the pond and the Pool where I thought I dropped my transmission last year, and headed on up the hill. Just as I got to my block, the Lady on the corner was walking her oldest wolf. I HAD to stop and tell her how much I love hearing them howl at night. The oldest one is 12 1/2 years, and I have been here for 13, So I have heard him since he came here. He is absolutely GORGEOUS! I do not think I would ever be frightened of meeting a wolf in the wild. She has three of them, and they are well cared for, never loose, in a proper pen, locked up and safe from idiots.

Very late at night especially on a really cold winter still night, you can hear OWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO coming from 6 houses down, and you know that all is right with the world. The wolves are communicating and the fog is rolling in. Don't get much better than that.

No comments: