Friday, April 22, 2005

Spring...


Mt baker

This has got to be one of my most favorite spots on the Island. It is taken from the Sunnyside Cemetery in Coupeville, Which I will write about one of these days. This is looking out over the Prairie across Penn Cove, and the top of the Island to Mt Baker which is on the mainland right below the Canadian Border. I have loved this Mountain since I was a little girl. Yes David, It is an Active volcano, and in the winter you can see the crater steaming. It has not blown in 200 years though.

The Cemetery is beautiful, and someone with forethought, planted heirloom lilacs there many years ago. Since Lilacs take forever to grow and bloom, the ones I planted 12 years ago, have just a few flowers on them right now.


lilacs

To get my yearly Lilac fix, I go up to the Cemetery and swipe arm loads for my office and my table. I doubt that the owner really cares anymore, been dead a LOOOONG time. Besides, I have an IN with the groundskeeper...Bob.


lilacs

How could anyone resist picking a few of these wonderful blooms? I lived in a cottage when I was first married, that had a 12' hedge of Lilac all around the property, and every spring the whole hedge would be filled with blossoms and the fragrance was wonderful.

I am sitting here typing this at 530 AM because I can't sleep, my back is out again, and all I did is toss and turn. BUT there is a good side to this. I opened the office window for air, and I am listening to the birds wake up. There was one robin, a little while ago chirping quietly, then another and another, and now the whole yard is alive with Robins, singing the morning awake! It is just starting to get light, and the dark navy blue is giving way to a lighter blue, and sillouetting the alder trees. Soon the sky will be pink, and the alders will be fully visible, and then the sun will slowly start its 18 hour journey across the sky. It Peeks through the cracks in the branches, then ever so slowly comes up over the top of the alders, and into my bedroom window. At that point the Hummingbirds and woodpeckers are awake and feeding, and the doves will be whistling their way from the forest to the feeders also. Mr Robin is singing his little heart out, SO cheerily! I should go make a pot a coffee, and take it out on the deck and listen to the world come alive again, with one more fresh new day full of hope and song...Can it get much better than this?

No comments: