Friday, April 15, 2005

April on Whidbey...

Anybody wanna trade heads with me? I am over my cold, but now I have the worst headache ever. Got it yesterday, it hurts so badly that my eyes wont even focus correctly. Feels like I have a hatchet right in the middle of the top of my head, heading down my neck, and banding my forehead. ARRGGHH!!! My eyes are leaking, and Wont stop. I think it is the tree pollen, could not be the lilacs that I stole from the cemetery yesterday. J.

This is April, and in the Pacific Northwest, It is absolutely the prettiest month of all. The deciduous trees are all bursting out their leaves with bright spring green. And golden catkins are hanging from the oaks, and alders. The Lilacs are blooming in force, along with the tulips, daffodils and the rhododendrons. The Cheery Cherry trees, Plums, apples, pears and Peach trees are all in bloom, along with the forsythia, and weigelia .

The roses are just starting to bud, but won’t bloom until late May, and the Wisteria is just about ready to pop open. The late bloomers are the Iris, and the day lilies, but even those are starting to bud up.

April is usually wet and grey, but the past few years have spoiled us, as April has been dry and sunny and spring warm. Alas, it appears we are back to our normal weather patterns. We so need the rain. The snow pack in the mountains is about 40% of normal. All from this month and the end of March. Going into the end of March there was NO snow on the mountains. Now there is, and the ski resorts are opening back up. We have officially been declared a drought area, (who’d a thunk that) and that means that come the dry months of July-September, we may be on water rationing.

It got so cold here this week that it has frozen at night, warmed up to the low 50’s, and chilled us all to the bone. I am sitting here in my office, with the heater on, (a no-no in Mary Lou’s house) my fuzzy slippers and a heavy sweater on, and the cats are all huddled together on the sofa. Sadie is asleep right down there under the computer desk, and if I kick my slippers off she would make a great foot warmer.

We are expecting more storms to parade on in from the Pacific all this week, and into the beginning of next week. Then It should clear out and be warmer, and sunnier. Michelle has mentioned that she cant wait for the fall weather to hit her part of the world, And we are sitting here waiting for the warmer weather. Hmmm that must mean that we have hit the time of the year when both ends of the earth are experiencing the same type of weather. Must be really hot at the equator right now.

One thing about this unstable air that I really like is the gorgeous cloud formations that appear. You have to realize that up here, the clouds are usually so thick that you cant see anything but grey, and wet. But with this, we get what we call sun breaks, and blue skies peek out, and then we can see the tops of the Cumulus clouds, and the dark thundery storms that are full of rain. I Love it!!

I started this post to be a well thought out post about spring, and just wandered away from it. When I start writing, I never know what direction my fingers are gonna take. But I do know that this has just gone into page 2 in word, so I have rambled on long enough. I shall quit for today and get this on the blog, so ya’ll won’t think I have skipped town. See ya tomorrow…

No comments: