Monday, April 18, 2005

One more day!

I am getting so excited! I Love the Musical Miss Saigon, and I leave tomorrow to go to Seattle to the 5th Ave Theater to see it. Karol and I are going, and we plan on eating at The Benihana a Japanese restaurant, and having SUSHAY!!!! Then into the theater to see the helicopter land on stage. It is a real old fashioned plush theater! Not like these lame multi complexes they have now.

When I was a young girl, and we lived in Hawaii, Every Saturday Phyllis and I would get 1.00 apiece. That was for bus fare and a transfer from Pearl Harbor to down town Waikiki to the several theaters that were there. This included the price of the DOUBLE FEATURE, and a candy bar for each of us. And of course the ride back. I was 12, Phyllis was 9, and Yes, we rode the bus alone, and got off the bus down town, and went into the theater by ourselves. I loved the feeling of the theaters back then. They were huge, and had real smoking loges, and the balcony was for your date and you, to smooch in. The bottom floor was where we would sit, and gawk up at the velvet curtains that were lining the theater, with the gold cords around them. And Real Gold tassels on them. The screen was behind a curtain also, and the seats were plush upholstery, and the floor had carpeting on it. You sure don't find theaters like that anymore, anywhere. At least not Movie theaters! I loved the stairs that would take you up to the restrooms, they were carpeted, curved and padded!! You could not hear your footfalls on the stairs! The restrooms were attended! Imagine that, A woman would sit there and hand you a paper towel to wash your hands with. I can imagine how much that would cost today!

I always felt so grown up going into theaters like that. I felt like I was somebody special. Now you go into the tiny multiplex theaters, and the floors are sticky with spilled soda, (I HOPE) and the chairs are plastic, or leathertype coverings. The curtains are usually stained and full of dust, and the screen is just there, small but there. No curtain. No fuss, no pride!

I am looking forward to walking back into that atmosphere tomorrow. The theater was all refurbished a few years ago, and now is all decorated like a real Chinese theater, Just like in the days of my youth. I am gonna feel like a kid again. I am gonna buy a program and just get lost in the story of Kim and how she will lose her love and her Son. It is gonna be soooooooooooooo great!!!

Wheeeeee!!!!!!

No comments: