Thursday, February 26, 2004

CHITTERS

I was reading, or trying to, Leslie's post this morning and Started to write about vibrating patches of fur, and decided that is what I would post about today. Chitters is one of my 4 cats. I had come to this house with 1 cat, Rudy, who was the love of my life. My sister registered me with WAIF The local no-kill animal shelter. Bless her heart.

I was called to foster parent a momma cat and her kitties. I did, and decided that I would NOT get attached to any of the kittens. It was hard because kittens are my most favorite things in the whole wide world. Kittens from birth to grown. I love them when they are still wet and wiggley from the placenta. I love to pick them up and kiss them. I would be the happiest person in the world to just raise kittens. Alas, I always keep one!!

THis time even though I loved little Gordo, I did not keep him, He would ride on my shoulder all day and purr like mad. I did not need another cat so I told myself from the git-go that I would NOT KEEP ONE!

The day came to return them all to the shelter. I took them all back and put them in the litter cage, and walked away. I suddenly was stopped, by a little paw with claws in it grabbing onto my pant leg. I looked down and there in the bottom cage was the cutest litter of kittens I had ever seen!! Grey long haired tabby kittens. The Male kitten had ahold of my pant leg and would not let go. I asked to hold him, and I was hooked!!! He was purring as I picked him up, and was so loving, and SOFT. I picked up his sister and put her on my other shoulder and had stereo purr kitties!! they were both so fat and sodt and loving, that I had to take one home. So I took the Male. (they make better lovers)

I never name my cats until I have had a chance to see how their personalities work out. This one was a terror!! He would get into the trash and bring me all sorts of goodies. It was not unusual to wake up with a dirty meat diaper on my pillow. or a chicken bone, or a catfood can lid. He was something. I could not think of a proper name for him so I just called him you little SHIT!! for over 6 months, that was what he heard. YOU LITTLE SHIT!! When my Dad moved in with me, he thought that was a terrible name for such a sweet kitty so he shortened it to shitters, and then to Chitters. That became his name. Chitters, derived from YOU LITTLE SHIT. Looks better at the vets office too.

Chitters is a lover. He sits beside me at the computer every day, and usually positions his tummy over the mouse hand so he can get scratched. Chitters is the outcast from the others. He just stays by himself except when there is a fire in the stove. He can usually be found right beside me where ever I am, purring quietly. He is comforting when I am not feeling good. He is also the one who mourned with me when I had to have Rudy put to sleep. I came home devasted and sobbed, and sobbed, Chitters would hear me and come running right up to my face and pat his little paws on my cheeks as if to say. It's ok mommie, I'm still here.

He's not a little shit anymore!!



No comments: