Thursday, May 15, 2003

Rain woke me up this morning. After a week of sunny spring weather, the rain was very welcome. It was a heavy but light rain. I know, HUH? It was a lot of water coming down in little bitty rain drops, OK? I knew what I meant. No wind, which is very unusual for us. What woke me up was the hiss of the rain hitting the alders and the wisteria. Then the birds hit. I filled the feeders with nyger seed yesterday, and within 1/2 hour, the goldfinches had re-discovered it and were back with a vengence. This morning they had doubled in number. The wisteria was full of gold birds. Looked like a spring christmas tree. Noisy too. I'll bet the neighbors are loving it. The hummers are going through the juice like you wouldn't believe. Right in the middle of all of this Lola came in. THen another Lola. so I have to think up another name to call the second Lola, when there are two of them present. I can't tell them apart, and in fact there may even be THREE lola's. There was a smaller one, and the belly fur on it was lighter. Today and yesterday both Lola's were the same size and had orange fur on their bellies. I do not know if their fur changes in the spring, but the other one would not have grown that much in less than a week. So. Lola number two, will now be called Rita. Now mind you, when Rita is there all alone she will be Lola, until Lola number two shows up then it is Rita. confused? so are they. I wish I could get close enough to either collar them, or splash a color on their backs so I could tell them all apart. Both squirrels were on the feeders, and neither of them knew the other was there. When Lola finally saw Rita, she screamed like mad, and Rita ran to the fence. They are soooooo territorial. only sposed to have 1 per hectare, but there must be more, other wise there wouldn't be ANY!! :-)

It is supposed to rain all this week. We need it. Unfortunately Mike didnt get the lawn mowed before it started, so it will be quite high again. I need to get the battery replaced in my mower, so Poor Darling daughter will have something to do when she moves back in. I wouldn't want her bored.

No comments: