Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rain!

After a summer of nearly no rain at all, and a fall of nearly no rain at all, we are getting all of it at once. We have a front moving in from the Ocean, that is bring tons of rain! We are in flood watch! ON an ISLAND!! weird huh? right now it is ouring rain, and the fog is really getting thick. I know that most of you do not equate fog and rain but here in the pacific Northwest, it is very common! I just ran out during a 10 minute pause in the rain, and filled up the feeders, and suet blocks! Those birds sure get greedy when the weather turns bad! Maybe they know something we don't! I can hear a squirrel in the alders, but so far, it has not come back into the yard! I have not seen the little red squirrels (lola) in almost 6 months. DOnt know if it is kids, dogs, cats, or owls keeping them away, but I miss them. Maybe when all the leaves fall off the trees, they will be able to see the feeders again and come back. Right now I have a flock of doves pigging out! must be 25-30 of them! and the woodpeckers have returned! both the Northern Flickers and the Downey woodpeckers. I have heard the Piliated one fly over, but so far he has not partaken of my hospitality. The Hairy woodpecker should be here soon too.

BAck to my bedroom window to watch the power of nature. AHHHHHHH relaxing!

10 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

Wow, we got heavy rain today also but haven't been getting it when others do. It's also really warm for so much rain, like a typical pineapple express. I was doing some work outside yesterday between rains and was sweating.

Bobbie said...

We're getting the same weather up here but there's no threat of flooding in my neck of the woods, just tons of rain. After all the great weather we've had, this sure is a change.

Anji said...

Sunny and cold, no doubt it will be moving over here when it's finished with you.

I thought a woodpecker was a woodpecker, I'll have to start googling and look them all up.

Donna said...

Nothing like a good rain, hot coffee and a good book! Peaceful! Hope snow doesn't mess things up too early for you!!hughugs

Anonymous said...

It's supposed to be pouring rain here, but isn't. The weather is grey, windy and cold, but no rain.

Dick said...

Before we left for Eastern Washington last Monday the sand bars in the Skagit River had lots of fishermen on them. We came back late yesterday afternoon to find the river running high- no sign of either the sand bars nor the fishermen.

I hate to see the end of such a wonderful (weather-wise) summer but I know we have seasons up here and fall must follow summer. It is just that I really don't like winter and I know what follows fall.

Mary Lou said...

Oh Shoot Dick, And you sold your get-away-from it-all-home too, didnt you?

Anonymous said...

Had any frost yet? Just askin' since the 17th has came and gone..

JimBob

Brenda said...

I think we have had your rain this year and we'd like for you to have it back now, thank you very much!

Take pics of your critters lady and come on and join our photo challenges!

Mary Lou said...

JimBob, No frost yet...close though