Saturday, October 01, 2005

GOD! What a night!!!

Tonight was the 2nd to the last show. Tomorrow night we close and strike the set. Tradition has it that anything can happen on closing night. BUT it happened TONIGHT instead. Billy our leading man, has never been on stage before, and all during rehearsals he would crack up if someone else laughed. Tonight he did it again, and cracked up one of his wives. The audience HOOTED!! It was a great audience to do it to. They stopped and applauded the crack up, and so the all recovered and went on with the show.


sleep


In the last scene, we open the scene with Madame Arcati asleep on the sofa, and the others tired and wanting to go to sleep too. Well during the dark stage, while everyone is taking their places and the stage crew is setting the props, Madame Arcarti mumbles, as if she is talking in her sleep. She is ad-libing, and it got laughs so we left it in. (We do not use a curtain, you just see the stage, and the full set.) Well tonight she was plainly heard by Billy saying "Dr Freud, you really need to get over this fixation with your mother!" I heard it up in the director's perch, and I snorted, ( Yes, people, I snort when I laugh, and milk has been known to leave my nose if I am drinking any. ) Billy also heard that, and he started laughing just as the lights came up. He was shaking and tears were coming down his cheeks. I was hooting in the balcony, and the Stage Manager was about to pee her pants. The Light Operator was laughing and Madame Arcati was just stoically laying there, mumbling as if nothing happened. During the tears, Billy tried to wipe them out of his eyes and continue on, but unfortunately he did not have on waterproof mascara on. He rubbed his eyes, got raccoon eyes, didn't know it and rubbed again. We howled, the audience howled, he rubbed some more, and then the rest of the cast saw it and started to. It was great!!!! I have not laughed that hard in a while. Thank god for great audiences.

I had told the cast that I was not a do it or else director. I believed in having FUN doing a show. That Laughing was allowed. And trust me, they took me at my word. I am known for my boisterous laugh!

Tomorrow night is strike, and that is after the show ends. SO we wont get out of there until after 3 AM! UGH This is the part I hate! I have no idea why the playhouse does not allow strike on SUNDAY, or else have closing the last SUNDAY, and it would be a matinee, then strike. That way we would not be up all night.
GOD I hope that the LSOH cast shows up like planned.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am listening to the musical called HONK! Right now and it is so funny!! It is the story of the Ugly Duckling. Costumes are yellow rain slickers and Orange rubber boots. These are the kind of shows I LOVE to work on. Ones that allow you to use your imagination. We are reviewing plays right now, getting ready to narrow our choices down to 10 shows for the membership to vote as a line up for next season.

If you could, which 5 musicals and 5 nonmusicals would you pick. Which ones would you pay 14.00 to go see? I am curious to see which ones all of you would choose. Which ones are the most popular?

Inquiring minds want to know...

No comments: